What is I-Wood?
I-Wood technology uses pre-cut, profiled lumber that fits together like Lego™ blocks.
The component parts are packaged in kits. The kit homes or relief shelters can be assembled by unskilled people with just an electric screw-driver, or an old-time brace and bit where power is unavailable.
- I-Wood lumber locks together to form strong, easily-assembled homes
- Do-it-yourself kits inspired by the IKEA™ flat pack concept
- Fast assembly – a 100 square-foot frame and roof can go up in a matter of hours
- Minimal tools and no construction experience required
- Pre-cut and drilled with high accuracy
- No guesswork – every component is labelled for easy assembly
- Assembly manual provided with step-by-step illustrations
- I-Wood has higher strength-to-weight ratio
- Profiling offers aesthetically pleasing qualities
- I-Wood frames provide better insulation
- I-Wood lumber requires less chemical treatment
- The components can be pre-treated for resistance to moisture, mold and fire
- Little or no job site waste
- Easy to handle: delivered in flat-packs
- Suitable for assembly on concrete, rammed earth or wood platforms
This innovative approach makes it possible for non-tradespeople to assemble tiny homes, sheds, shelters, cabins, workshops, utility buildings, greenhouses and portable structures.
I-Home housing kits and I-RAD (Rapid Assembly Dwelling) are offered in a range of sizes that are readily expandable or moved as circumstances require. They provide superior protection against inclement weather and a safe secure structure in which a family can sleep, eat and begin to rebuild their lives with dignity.
The profiling process also generates more valuable bi-product in the form of wood chips suitable for particle board, pulp or wood pellet production. By utilizing profile lumber technology, sawmills can realize up to 30% greater value from high volume operations .
- higher yield than traditional lumber by using smaller diameter trees
- provides significant environmental benefits over concrete and traditional lumber
- offers sawmills an opportunity for higher value-add exports